Section 2 - Other Funding Sources, Resources and Services

AARP West Virginia


AARP West Virginia offers advocacy, education and community services for West Virginians 50 and over. For more information, call 866-227-7458 or visit www.aarp.org.

Access WV

Access WV is a health plan created by West Virginia law to provide health insurance to West Virginians who have been unable to find or who have been denied health insurance in the private market because of a medical condition. It also provides coverage to people who are eligible under the Federal Portability Act or under the IRS Health Coverage Tax Credit Program. For more information, call 866-445-8491 or visit http://apps.wvinsurance.gov/accesswv.

Adult Basic Education (ABE)

The West Virginia ABE Program is committed to providing integrated and comprehensive services to equip adults with the strong foundational skills they need for productive employment, effective citizenship and successful life management. For more information, call 304-558-0280 or visit wvde.state.wv.us/abe/.

Adult Family Care

Adult Family Care provides adults who need and desire the support, protection and security of family living an opportunity to live within a family unit where they can function as an individual. For more information about this program, call your local Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) office (see Appendix J) or visit www.dhhr.wv.gov.

Adult Services Program

Adult Services supports programs to help older adults with disabilities and vision impairments. These services are intended to care for and support vulnerable adults so that they may remain in their own homes and still get the care they need. This program also works to improve the quality of life for adults who must live in nursing homes, personal care homes, residential board and care homes and adult family care homes. Services include protecting adults with physical and mental impairments from being abused, neglected or financially exploited; adult family care; a homeless program; licensed personal care homes; guardianship and health care surrogate, and residential board and care homes. For more information, call your local Department of Health and Human Resources (see Appendix J) or visit www.dhhr.wv.gov.


Affordable Dentures


Affordable Dentures is a network of affiliated denture practices that aims to provide individuals with a denture created to their own personal needs at an affordable fee. The two Affordable Dentures locations in West Virginia are Bridgeport (304-842-1995) and Barboursville (304-733-5500). For more information, such as other locations and fees, visit www.affordabledentures.com or call 800-DENTURE (800-336-8873).

AgrAbility Project (WVU CED)

The West Virginia AgrAbility Project is part of a national information network for farmers, farm workers and farm families. The program is designed to help find solutions to meet special needs caused by a disability or chronic health condition. AgrAbility staff will provide information and referral, on-the-farm visits, service coordination and help find support to pay for assistive technology and farm equipment modifications. For more information, call 800-626-4748 or visit agrability.ext.wvu.edu.

AMFM Nursing & Rehabilitation Centers

AMFM Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers are for persons considering long term nursing or short term rehabilitative care. Call the home office in Charleston at 800-348-1623 to find the center closest to you, a free guide, services and care, or visit www.AMFMWV.com.

Alzheimer's Association

The Alzheimer's Association has access to the most recent information on the disease and many of the services are free. The Association also offers a training program to groups or individuals providing care for individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. Training topics include communication, working with families, bathing, wandering, driving and more. Groups and individuals can earn basic, advanced or dementia care certificates. For more information, call 800-272-3900, TDD 866-403-3073 or visit www.alz.org/wv.


Assistive Technology Exchange System


The West Virginia Assistive Technology System (WVATS) offers an exchange system where individuals can post used and/or no longer needed assistive technology for giveaway, sale or trade. For more information, call 800-841-8436. The exchange system is available online at https://vll.cedwvu.org.

Association of Blind Citizens (ABC)

This funding source will cover 50 percent of the retail price of adaptive devices or software. The ABC board of directors believes that this program will allow individuals who are blind or have visual impairments to access technology products that will have a significant impact on improving employment opportunities, increase their level of independence and enhance overall quality of life. Applications must be submitted by June 30th and December 31st for each grant period (two per year). For more information, visit www.blindcitizens.org.

Behavioral Health Advocacy Project

Appalachian Legal Services has a contract with the Department of Health and Human Resources to provide non-legal representation and assistance for consumers of behavioral health care services. There is no charge for services provided by the Behavioral Advocacy Project. For more information, call 866-255-4370, or visit www.lawv.net/Behavioral.

Bureau of Senior Services

The WV Bureau of Senior Services (BOSS) offers information, respite care, training, support groups and individual counseling. A variety of programs and services, including the Aged and Disabled Waiver Program, are available for interested and eligible individuals. For more information, call 304-558-3317 or visit www.wvseniorservices.gov.

Burial Assistance

The WV Department of Health and Human Resources provides help with the funeral costs of eligible low-income adults or children. Family contributions and other third-party payments may be allowed to help pay for the burial. Call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J) for more information.

Cabell-Wayne Association of the Blind

The Cabell-Wayne Association of the Blind (CWAB) in Huntington, WV provides free services to residents of Cabell and Wayne counties who have vision impairments. These services include computer training, cooking classes, transportation, rehabilitation, exercise classes, orientation and mobility classes, recreational and social activities and focus groups. CWAB also has in-house visits for people who may need assistance with their banking, comparative shopping and other services. For more information, call 304-522-6991 or visit www.cabellwayne.org.


CAMC Health Information Center


The CAMC Health Information Center provides access to health care information. The Center does not provide medical care or advice. The Center promotes health and health care by providing materials focusing on current, practical and comprehensive information important to the wellbeing of the community. For more information, call 888-HEALTHY (888-432-5849) or visit www.camcinstitute.org/hic.

Caregiver Support

The Family Caregiver Support Program is designed to provide information and support to individuals who are unpaid caregivers for elderly family members. Services include assistance to caregivers in accessing services, individual counseling, organization of support groups, training to assist caregivers and respite care. For more information, call 304-293-3129 or visit www.wvcaregivers.org.

Care Coordination and Disease Management Program

Care Coordination is a program that is provided by the UMWA Health and Retirement Funds to assist people in receiving the best quality health care available. The care coordination team is made up of registered nurses, licensed social workers, physicians and pharmacists. The program works by a nurse contacting the person to complete an assessment over the phone to discuss specific health care needs. For more information, call 800-292-2288.

Catholic Charities of West Virginia

Catholic Charities is a department of the Diocese of Wheeling- Charleston that offers assistance to anyone in need. For more information, call 304-233-0880 or visit catholiccharitieswv.org or see Appendix M.

Community Services, Inc. (CSI)

CSI provides a Community Rehabilitation Program that offers job site training, direct placement, supported employment and more to people with disabilities. CSI matches workers to the labor needs of employers and then trains and provides support to the employee for as long as necessary to make the placement a success. Training and follow-up services by a job coach help to ensure success. For more information, call 304-205-7978 or visit www.csiwv.com.

Corporate Angel Network

The Corporate Angel Network is a nationwide public charity whose mission is to arrange passage for cancer patients to treatment centers using empty seats on corporate jets. Employees and volunteers work with patients and families to coordinate their travel needs with Corporate Angels - 500 major corporations who make empty seats on their aircraft available to patients. For more information, call 914-328-1313 or visit www.CorpAngelNetwork.org.

Eldercare Locator

The Eldercare Locator connects older adults and their caregivers with sources of information on senior services. The service is designed to help find services for seniors by identifying trustworthy local support resources. The goal is to provide users with the information and resources they need to live independently and safely in their homes and communities for as long as possible. For more information, call 800-677-1116, or visit www.eldercare.gov.

Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance gives short-term financial help to persons and families who face a financial crisis. Items that may be needed are: shelter, utilities, food, household goods, clothing, childcare, transportation or outpatient medical care. The Emergency Assistance Program is only available one time during any 12-month time period. Persons and families must meet certain program guidelines and be within certain levels for income and assets. Those applying for this program will also be referred to other community programs that may help. Call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J) for more information.

Employer Incentive Program

This is a hire first program with public or private sector businesses licensed to do business in West Virginia. These contracts are for a minimum of 30 hours per week not to exceed 40 hours per week. The minimum number of hours for each contract is 400 and may not exceed 600. The clients will be hired by an employer and receive no less than minimum wage per hour. The employer will be reimbursed 50 percent of the salary indicated in the contract by the Department of Health and Human Resources. Call your local DHHR office for more information (Appendix J).

Experience Works

Experience Works is a national, nonprofit organization that offers training and employment opportunities for mature workers. For more information, call 866-397-9757 or visit www.experienceworks.org.

Eye Care America

The Volunteer Eye Surgeons Association sponsors this program to provide free cataract surgery to people of all ages who have no other means to pay. Surgeries are scheduled annually on one day, usually in May. For more information, call 800-391-EYES (800-391-3937).

Family Caregiver Alliance

The Family Caregiver Alliance addresses the needs of families and friends providing long term care at home. The Alliance offers programs at national, state and local levels to support and sustain caregivers. FCA is a public voice for caregivers, illuminating the daily challenges they face, offering them the assistance they need and deserve and championing their cause through: education, services, research and advocacy. For more information, call 800-445-8106 or visit www.caregiver.org.


FamilyCare provides a variety of medical services, including annual checkups and physicals for adults and children, prenatal care and delivery, newborn and pediatric care, health care for senior citizens, treatment for minor illnesses and injuries, mental health counseling, treatment for serious medical problems, full dental services and more. Most insurance plans are accepted including Medicaid and Medicare. Most services are also available on a sliding-fee scale based on income for those without insurance. FamilyCare has locations in Scott Depot 304-757- 6999, Charleston 304-343-4177, and Madison 304-369-0393. For more information, visit www.FamilyCareWV.org.

Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program

The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program is available to federal and postal workers, government retirees, retired military personnel as well as their immediate families. For more information, call 800-582-3337, TTY 800-843-3557 or visit www.ltcfeds.com.

Find a Care Manager

The National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers has an online resource to help individuals locate a professional Geriatric Care Manager. A professional Geriatric Care Manager is someone who helps older people and their families identify problems and get needed in-home care and services. For more information, visit www.caremanager.org.

Food Stamps Step 1

Food Stamps Step 1 is a website that can make it easier for people to apply for food stamps. This website lets low-income families learn whether they qualify for food stamps and to see how much assistance they could receive. The site is not necessarily targeted at lower-income people who have computers in their homes. Needy families without computers can go to food banks or government offices to access the Internet site. For more information, visit www.snap-step1.usda.gov.

Foster Grandparents

Foster Grandparents are individuals who are over 55 years of age, can volunteer an average of 20 hours a week, have a limited income and love children. This program gives children the much-needed attention that can change lives. Foster Grandparents receive pre-service orientation and monthly training, an annual physical examination, supplemental insurance, a small stipend for those who qualify, help with meal and transportation costs and the joy of knowing they are making a difference for children. For more information, visit www.seniorcorps.org.

Free Flu Shots

The Muscular Dystrophy Association offers flu shots at no cost to people with any of the more than 40 neuromuscular diseases in the Association's program. For more information about getting a free flu shot, call the MDA at 800-572- 1717 to find the location of the MDA clinic nearest to you, or visit www.mdausa.org

Good News Mountaineer Garage

The Good News Mountaineer Garage is a nonprofit organization that accepts donations of used vehicles, repairs them and distributes them to WV low income families who are referred by WVDHHR. For more information or to donate a car call 866-GIVE-CAR (866-448-3227) or visit www.goodnewsmountaineergarage.com.

Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP) Program

HIPP is designed to assist Medicaid eligible individuals who cannot afford their employer's group health coverage. The Bureau of Medical Services will pay the premiums along with any deductibles and copayments for Medicaid eligible individuals when the policy is determined to be cost-effective. The program will also assist recently unemployed individuals with COBRA benefits available from their former employer. Candidates must have group health insurance that covers at least one Medicaid-eligible person in West Virginia available to them. More information and an online application are available by calling 304-342- 1604 or at www.wvrecovery.com/hipp.asp.


HealthSouth Regional Rehabilitation Hospitals offer many programs including aquatic rehabilitation, the outpatient day hospital program and balance and vestibular programs. For more information about Health South programs, call 800- 765-4772. The Huntington branch can be contacted at 304-733-1060, the Morgantown branch at 304-598-1100, the Parkersburg branch at 304-420-1300, and the Princeton branch at 304-487-8000.

Hear Now

Hear Now is a program to help people who cannot afford hearing aids. Since 1995, Hear Now has provided more than 65,000 children and adults with hearing aids. Hear Now accepts donations of old, used and no longer used hearing aids which are then sold to a repair lab. Money generated through these sales is used to purchase the aids used in the program's hearing aid assistance program, the National Hearing Aid Bank. For more information on applying for assistance, or to donate a hearing aid, call 800-328-8602 or visit www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org.

Homeless Services

The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources has contracts with 11 homeless shelters statewide to provide emergency shelter and case management services. Individuals served through the Department's homeless program must participate in developing and implementing a service plan designed to eliminate the causes of homelessness. For more information on this program, call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J) or visit www.dhhr.wv.gov.

Huntington Human Relations Commission (HHRC)

The HHRC looks at and decides on complaints made by people who feel their rights have been violated by discrimination. You can file a complaint if you feel you have been discriminated against because of your race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age (if you are 40 or older), or disability. For more information, call 304-696-5592.

In-Home Care Program

This program is designed to keep individuals living in the most independent, least restrictive environment to help reduce premature institutionalization. The In-Home Care Program is available statewide. Personal hygiene and grooming, environmental, nutritional support, and non-technical physical assistance are provided in the home. For more information, call 800-499-4080.

Leadership Academy

The Leadership Academy is a training program involving citizenship, advocacy, leadership and organizational skills for groups of consumers of behavioral health services. For more information, call 800-598-8847.


Lifeline/Tel-Assistance is a program for low-income households offered by West Virginia telephone companies. The program offers a lower than normal cost for the connection of a telephone line in the household. Lifeline/Tel-Assistance helps rural households have access to emergency and other community services. For more information, call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J).

Limbs for Life

This mission of the Limbs for Life Foundation is to benefit amputees by providing comfortable and fully functional prosthetic care for individuals who cannot otherwise afford it. For more information, call 888-235-5462 or visit www.limbsforlife.org.

Lions Club International

Provides financial assistance for eye care; service may vary depending on locality. Check your telephone directory for local club or call the organization's national office at 630-571-5466 or visit www.lionsclubs.org.

Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)

LIEAP is a yearly winter home-heating program that helps pay a household's winter heating bills. Households must meet income and program guidelines. Households that are facing the shut-off of their home heating services during the winter may get help through an emergency part of the program. For more information, call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J)

Medicare Savings Programs

The West Virginia SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program) has three programs that can assist with out-of-pocket costs that Medicare does not pay. The programs may pay your monthly Medicare premium and may also pay Medicare deductibles and co-insurances. To qualify for these programs, you must be eligible for Medicare Part A and have limited income and assets. For more information, call 877-987-4463 or visit www.wvship.org

Medicare Rx Extra Help

Medicare Rx Extra Help pays for the monthly fee and deductible for Medicare prescription drug coverage, and lowers prescription drug copayments. For more information, call 800-772-1213 or visit www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/.

Mental Health Services

The University Health Associates Mental Health Services at WVU includes assessments and evaluations, individual and group therapy, marital and family therapy, psychological and neuropsychological testing and diagnosis and treatment of sleep disturbances. For more information, call 304-598-6400.

National Captioning Institute (NCI)

The National Captioning Institute (NCI) help desk will assist individuals with questions and concerns about closed captioning and related media access services. For more information, call 703-917-7600 or visit www.ncicap.org.

National Organization on Rare Disorders (NORD)

NORD administers patient assistance programs to help uninsured or under-insured individuals secure life-saving or life-sustaining medications. For a complete list of NORD's current Patient Assistance Programs call 800-999-6673 or visit www.rarediseases.org/programs/medication.


Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT)


Helps those who receive Medicaid with the costs of going to and from their doctors and medical service providers. Other costs during the travel such as meals, lodging and tolls may also be available for eligible patients. Private auto transportation providers are paid by the mile. Public transportation providers are reimbursed at rates decided by the WV Public Service Commission. For more information, call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J).

Patient Advocate Foundation

The Patient Advocate Foundation is a national nonprofit organization that works with patients to resolve insurance, job discrimination and/ or debt issues relative to their diagnosis with insurers, employers and/ or creditors. Through mediation, the Patient Advocate Foundation seeks to help patients acquire and maintain access to care, employment and preservation of their financial stability. For more information, call 800-532-5274 or visit www.patientadvocate.org.

Pearle Vision Foundation

The Pearle Vision Foundation awards grants to economically disadvantaged individuals for surgeries and low vision equipment and to non-profit organizations for research, education, training and projects related to preserving lifetime vision. Eligibility is based on individuals who demonstrate financial hardships and are in need of vision care. People who can be assisted are those who are presently unemployed, on a limited income and cannot obtain insurance or medical assistance. For more information, visit www.pearlevision.com/pv-us/why-pearle-vision/our-vision#box3.

Peer Recovery Network

The Peer Recovery Network provides alternative/non-traditional direct and group services that are currently unavailable from other system entities in West Virginia. The primary purpose of this network is to work toward providing a common voice for consumers of addiction or addiction related services within the state. For more information, call 888-807-2955.

Protection and Advocacy for Assistive Technology (PAAT)

PAAT is open to any individual who is or would be enabled by an assistive technology device or service. The goal of PAAT is to help individuals with disabilities, their family members, guardians, advocates or authorized representatives who have been denied access to assistive technology devices or services by Medicaid, Medicare, a school, an employer, an insurance company or any state or federally funded agency or entity. For more information, call 800-950-5250 or visit www.wvadvocates.org.

Recovery Education Center

At the Recovery Education Center, qualified trainers teach a series of modules that pull together life experiences and skill-building activities helpful in providing effective peer-to-peer supports. Adults with psychiatric disabilities who are recovery focused and interested in improving their education and work opportunities are encouraged to enroll. For more information, call 304-345-7312.

Residential Board & Care and Personal Care Homes

Both residential board and care homes and personal care homes provide a supervised group living situation in which four or more individuals receive care, including limited nursing care. These facilities have proven to be ideal for many elderly and individuals with disabilities who require a supervised living situation. For more information, call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J).

Rosenbaum Family House

The Rosenbaum Family House is connected to Ruby Memorial Hospital. It offers low cost accommodations for individuals coming to Morgantown to receive medical services. Physician or hospital clergy must make the referral. The cost per stay is $15 per night. For more information, call 304-598-6094.

Seeing Hand Association

The Seeing Hand Association is a private, non-profit organization established to provide services to the blind in the Upper Ohio Valley. The Association assists individuals, families and professionals in accessing services and/or resources to meet their needs. It also offers support groups and low vision clinics for individuals who are blind or visually impaired. For more information, call 304-232-4810 or visit www.seeinghandassociation.com.

Self Help for Hard of Hearing People

Self Help for Hard of Hearing People (SHHH) is the nation's largest organization for people with hearing loss. It is also the nation's leading consumer advocacy group helping people with hearing loss. SHHH seeks to open the world of communication for people with hearing loss through information, education, advocacy and support. For more information, call 301-657-2248 or visit www.hearingloss.org.

Senior Corps (RSVP)

The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is a federally funded program that invites adults age 55 and over to use their life experience and skills to answer the call of their neighbors in need. For more information, visit www.seniorcorps.org (See Appendix K).

Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP)

SCSEP provides income-eligible individuals who are 55 and older subsidized part-time employment and training opportunities in a variety of nonprofit social service agencies. For more information, call 304-558-3317 or visit www.wvseniorservices.gov

Senior Companions

Senior companions are healthy older adults who help other adults live independently. Senior companions provide support to family caregivers. They assist with grocery shopping and other daily tasks necessary to maintain independence. As a senior companion, you will receive pre-service and on-going training, an annual physical examination, supplemental insurance, help with meal and transportation costs, a small stipend for those who qualify and the joy of helping others live on their own. For more information, visit www.seniorcorps.org.


Bank One and Cabell Huntington Hospital offer SeniorWise, a program that offers a number of free hospital and banking services. From Cabell Huntington Hospital, members receive upgrades to private hospital rooms, free or reduced-rate health screenings, appointments with Medicare Financial Counselors and more. From Bank One, members receive a financial checkup, free checking, free on-line bill paying and more. All services are free to members. For information, call 304-526-2695 or visit www.cabellhuntington.org.

Specialized Family Care Program (CED at WVU)

The Specialized Family Care (SFC) program is a statewide placement and family support system designed to serve the needs of children and adults with developmental disabilities. It is a residential option for any person with developmental disabilities. A SFC home is a specially recruited and trained family that provides training, nurturing, and a family atmosphere for anyone with a developmental disability. A host family provides special services under a contract with the placement agency. The home is a place where the individual can grow and develop to his/her maximum potential mentally, physical, emotionally, and socially. In many instances, the SFC home becomes the permanent home for the person. For more information, call 304-720-3200 or visit www.sfcp.cedwvu.org.

Starkey Hearing Foundation

The Starkey Hearing Foundation donates more than 10,000 hearing aids each year to people who cannot afford them. For more information, call 866-354-3254 or visit www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org.

State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)

WV SHIP provides free assistance to Medicare beneficiaries through personal counseling sessions, by telephone, group presentations and through the media. Counselors are located in the senior centers in all 55 counties (See Appendix K). Information is provided on a variety of topics, including Part A (hospital benefits), Part B (out-patient services), Part D (prescription drug coverage), preventive services, medigap policies and Medicare savings programs. The program is also able to provide guidance with Medicare billing issues and appeals. For more information, call 877-987-4463 or visit www.wvship.com.

Supportive & Nutrition Services

The Bureau for Senior Services provides a wide variety of support services that are available in county senior centers, their satellite locations or in senior's homes. Services include transportation, instruction and training, congregate meals, home delivered meals, letter reading and writing, exercise programs, shopping, home repair, homemaker, adult day care, telephoning, personal care, health screening, chore services, nutrition education and information and assistance. For more information, call 888-982-4464 or visit www.wvseniorservices.gov.


Tax-Aide is free tax assistance. The assistance is confidential and available to all taxpayers with middle and low incomes, with special attention to those aged 60 and older. Tax-Aide is a service that prepares tax returns and answers tax questions. For more information, call 888-687-2277 or visit www.aarp.org/taxaide.

Telephone Relay Service

The WV Telephone Relay Service works to connect people who are deaf, deafblind, hearing, hard-of-hearing and speech disabled. A Telephonic Communication Device Loan program is available for interested individuals. For more information, call the WV Commission for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing at 800-676-3777 (V/TTY) or visit www.westvirginiarelay.com.

Twenty-percent Utility Discount Program

This program helps people who receive AFDC-U, Supplemental Social Security Income (SSI) or who are over age 60 and get food stamps, by giving them below normal rates for their gas and electric service during the winter months. For more information, call your local DHHR office (See Appendix J).

United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) Health and Retirement Funds

The United Mine Workers of America offers a Diabetes Education Program, a Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Education Program and a Congestive Heart Failure Education Program. Each program offers private consultations, educational materials, educational sessions and evaluations for improved physical fitness. UMWA also offers a case management program in which individuals can call and speak with registered nurses who have varied backgrounds, including transplant, oncology, psychiatric, nursing home and home health experience. For more information, call 800-292-2288 or visit www.umwafunds.org.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Fair housing is a right protected by federal and state laws. Fair housing means you may freely choose a place to live. HUD's mission is to increase home ownership, support community development and increase access to affordable housing free from discrimination. For more information, call 800-225-5342 or visit www.hud.gov.

Verizon Center for Customers with Disabilities

This Center is a communications resource for people who have low vision or blindness, hearing loss or deafness, cognitive, speech or mobility impairments. Verizon's mission is to provide the highest quality of service to customers with disabilities and have representatives who are trained to help with services and equipment. For more information call 800-974-6006 or visit www.verizon.com. Nokia offers similar services, for more information regarding Nokia's services call 800-246-6542 or visit www.nokiaaccessibility.com.

Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)

WRAP is a program of the WV Mental Health Consumers Association. Part of its mission is to conduct Wellness Recovery Action Plan peer support groups for adults with mental health and/or co-occurring experiences throughout the state. For more information, call 866-255-4370.

Wells Fargo Reverse Mortgage

If you are at least 62 years old, the Wells Fargo Reverse Mortgage program borrows against the equity you have built in your home without your repaying the debt for as long as you live there. Instead of making monthly payments, you can choose to receive them. For more information, call 866-820-9199 or visit www.wellsfargo.com.

West Virginia ADA Coalition

WV ADA Coalition is a statewide, grassroots group of individuals committed to helping communities achieve equal access for all West Virginians. The Coalition focuses on providing technical assistance, education and training and public awareness. For more information, call 800-946-9471.

West Virginia Advocates

The Advocates protect the human and legal rights of West Virginians who have disabilities and work to ensure individuals enjoy full inclusion and integration in the economic, political, social, cultural and educational mainstream of society. For more information, call 800-950-5250 or visit www.wvadvocates.org.

West Virginia Assistive Technology System (WVATS) (CED at WVU)

WVATS is dedicated to increasing the access to and acquisition of assistive technology for West Virginians of all ages and types of disabilities. WVATS disseminates information about assistive technologies and services, provides demonstrations and trainings on assistive technologies and operates a loan library, available online at www.wvats.cedwvu.org. For more information, call 800-841-8436.

West Virginia Association for the Deaf, Inc. (WVAD)

WVAD serves a wide array of individuals with hearing loss as an advocacy and information network. Members of the WVAD have donated various models of closed captioning devices (CC) to be distributed to individuals. Criteria for donating a CC device are the person is deaf or hard of hearing and shows a financial burden of purchasing the device themselves. For more information, call 304-647-3131 or visit www.wvdhhr.org/wvcdhh/wvad.

West Virginia Bureau for Public Health

The Bureau for Public Health offers information on disease, injury, health care providers and health services. For more information or to find the county health department nearest you, call 304-558-2971 or visit www.dhhr.wv.gov/bph.

West Virginia's Catastrophic Illness Commission

You or a loved one may be eligible for financial assistance to help with the cost of medical needs through West Virginia's James "Tiger" Morton Catastrophic Illness Commission. To be eligible for the funds a patient must be a resident of West Virginia one year prior to the date of onset/ diagnosis, have a condition that meets the definition of catastrophic illness and must have exhausted all other resources.

Persons eligible for medical assistance through WV Medicaid are not eligible. Past due medical bills are not accepted and all services must be preauthorized through the program director. The WV Legislature created this fund in 1999 as a last resort for those in dire need of medical assistance once all other resources have been exhausted. To apply, call 304-558-6073. Applications may be made over the phone and decisions may be made within approximately one week. For more information visit www.wvdhhr.org/cic/index.asp.

West Virginia Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (WVCDHH)

The WVCDHH is an agency that provides free and confidential services to individuals interested in services concerning those who are deaf or hard of hearing. Services include referral, access to advocacy, training and educational opportunities. The commission also has a TTY loan program. For more information, call 866-461-3578 or visit www.wvdhhr.org/wvcdhh.

West Virginia End-of-Life Care

The West Virginia Center for End-of-Life Care provides coordination, education, and resources so that West Virginians will have their pain controlled and their treatment choices respected. For more information, call 877-209-8086 or visit www.wvendoflife.org.

West Virginia Insurance Commission

Obtaining insurance can seem like an overwhelming task and deciding whether or not a policy is necessary can confuse even the most knowledgeable consumer. The West Virginia Insurance Commission offers a variety of services to individuals who have concerns or questions regarding insurance. For more information, call 888-TRY-WVIC (888-879-9842) or visit www.wvinsurance.gov.

West Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program

This program handles issues concerning the quality of care or treatment from a long-term care service provider, questions about billing charges and appeals regarding transfers, discharges, and discontinuance or changes in service. Anyone can call the Ombudsman Program and make an anonymous complaint. The Ombudsman Program advocates for residents' rights and quality care in nursing facilities, personal care homes, residential board, and care homes and similar long-term care facilities. For more information on how to contact an Ombudsman call 304-558-3317, or find a Regional Ombudsman at 800-834-0598, or visit www.wvseniorservices.gov.

West Virginia Medical Institute (WVMI)

Making a decision about nursing home care can be difficult, but there are resources that can help. Medicare has published a brochure to help guide your decision-making process. If you or someone you know is currently a resident in a nursing home this brochure can also be used as a guide to talking to the nursing home staff about the quality of care being provided. For more information, call 800-642-8686 or visit www.wvmi.org.

West Virginia Mental Health Consumers Association (WVMHCA)

WVMHCA is a nonprofit corporation organized under the laws of the state of WV for promoting the rights, representation, respect and responsibility for consumers of mental health services. For more information, call 800-598-8847.

West Virginia on the Move

The goal of WVOM is to assist West Virginians, regardless of athletic ability, to increase the physical activity in their lifestyle and make smarter food choices to maintain a healthy weight. For more information, call 304-345-1235 or visit www.wvonthemove.net.

West Virginia Osteoporosis Prevention and Education Program

The WV Osteoporosis Prevention and Education Program is designed to inform people about osteoporosis preventions and treatments. This program is a part of the Bureau for Public Health, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources. For more information, call 304-558-0644 or visit www.wvbonenjoint.org.

West Virginia Senior Legal Aid, Inc.

WVSLA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free legal services and counseling to West Virginia seniors age 60 and over. For more information, call 800-229-5068 or visit www.seniorlegalaid.org.

West Virginia University Eye Institute

The Eye Institute at WVU offers a full range of eye care services including comprehensive eye exams, contact lens fitting, low vision evaluation and rehabilitation, laser vision correction and subspecialty medical and surgical treatment. For more information, call 304-598-4820 or visit www.wvueye.com.

West Virginia University Center on Aging

The WVU Center on Aging has created an online one-stop resource for West Virginia's seniors. The WVU Center on Aging works to improve the health, well-being and security of older people and those who care for them, in West Virginia and across the nation through research, education, clinical service, technology and advocacy. For more information, call 888-WVAGING (888-982-4464) or visit www.wvseniors.org.

West Virginia Alliance for Sustainable Families

The WV Alliance for Sustainable Families undertakes a number of collaborative projects designed to increase economic self-sufficiency among low-income West Virginians. Projects include: Asset Building Initiative, Making Connections, and the West Virginia EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit) Campaign. For more information, call 304-342-6972 or visit www.wvasf.org.

West Virginia University Speech Center

The West Virginia University Speech Center conducts therapy sessions Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm with services of a fully certified supervisory staff. Individual as well as group therapy is offered each semester to meet the needs of the clients. The speech center also conducts augmentative communication evaluations as part of its services. There is also a fully equipped laboratory for acoustic and physiological study of speech disorders. For more information, call 304-293-6817.

Wheelchair Foundation

The Wheelchair Foundation is a nonprofit organization designed to create awareness of the needs and abilities of people with physical disabilities and to deliver a wheelchair to every individual in the world that needs one, but cannot afford one. For more information, call 877-378-3839 or visit www.wheelchairfoundation.org.


Wheelchair Recycling Program (WRP)


The Wheelchair Recycling Program offers low cost, refurbished mobility and medical equipment to those who lack the resources to acquire new equipment. All equipment is donated to WRP by individuals, businesses and other nonprofit agencies. Every item is carefully cleaned and repaired by experienced workers. Equipment can be shipped to anyone in the nation; individuals must pay for the equipment plus the shipping cost. For more information, call 608-243-1785 or visit www.wrp.org.


WVSeniors.org is a free website with information about senior services available throughout the state of West Virginia. The site also allows users to access a calendar of events, a library of information on aging and links to senior-related news and online resources for seniors. Users can ask experts questions about geriatric medicine, pharmacy, social services and more. Email accounts, message boards and chat rooms are available free. For more information, call 888-WVAGING (888-982-4464) or visit www.wvseniors.org.

Additional Funding Sources for Assistive Technology

Compiled by Debbie Budash

A quick reference list of funding sources used by professionals to purchase equipment and services.

The most common sources for AT funding are public agencies. They include:

  • ALS Foundation
  • Christina Foundation
  • Medicaid/Medicare
  • Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR)
  • Mental Health/Intellectual Disabilities (MH/ID)
  • United Cerebral Palsy Association (Bellows Fellow Grant)
  • ARC
  • SSI/SSDI work incentives

Private Agencies, Foundations and Commercial Insurance include:

  • Travelers
  • Metropolitan Life
  • Prudential Insurance
  • Equitable Life
  • Mutual of Omaha
  • State Farm
  • Blue Cross/Blue Shield
  • Aetna
  • Champus

Potential contributors include:

  • Private individuals
  • Businesses
  • Sports organizations
  • Athletes

Lending Libraries include:

Resources within the community can be sought and mini-grant proposals can be written and submitted to businesses and civic groups. They include:

  • Business and professional women's associations
  • Exchange Club
  • Kiwanis
  • Elks
  • Lions
  • Church groups
  • "A Dream Come True"
  • "Make-A-Wish"
  • Masons/Shriners
  • Knights of Columbus
  • Quota Club
  • Seratoma
  • Junior Women's League
  • Telephone Pioneers
  • Moose Lodges
  • Fraternal Orders of Police
  • Sunshine Foundation

The following list provides some examples of alternate funding sources. They include:

  • Fundraising events
  • Call or email individual companies for donations
  • Garage sales/flea markets

Coordinating efforts with technical classes in high schools, community colleges, clubs and universities that require specific projects (i.e., senior projects required in mechanical engineering course, boy scout projects, etc.)

Once activities and technology needs have been identified, consider people who have specific skills in carpentry, electronics, mechanical engineering, computers and general "fix-it" skills to help with design and construction of adaptations.

Traveling Resource and Information Library Service (TRAILS) Vans:

A mobile resource outreach program that uses vans equipped with resources of interest to early childhood providers. Resources include educational and developmentally appropriate toys for children ranging in ages from birth to 13 years, books, videos, computer software, music teaching curriculum and idea books, assistive technology, art supplies, and large equipment such as highchairs and cribs. Any WV licensed, registered, or certified provider within the listed counties can call for an appointment. Different areas of West Virginia are served by different TRAILS providers. Please locate your provider below:

MountainHeart North Trails Van

For TRAILS service in Berkeley, Jefferson, Morgan, Hardy, Grant, Hampshire, Mineral and Pendleton counties, call the Martinsburg Office at 888-915-7653.

For TRAILS service in Barbour, Taylor, Upshur, Randolph, Tucker, Preston and Lewis counties, call 877-811-5437.

MountainHeart South TRAILS VAN

For TRAILS service in Wyoming, Mercer, McDowell, Nicholas, Webster or Braxton counties, call 800-834-7082.

For TRAILS service in Greenbrier, Fayette, Raleigh, Monroe, Summers and Pocahontas counties, call 866-223-7127.


For TRAILS service in Boone, Lincoln, Mason, Mingo, Putnam, Wayne, Logan and Cabell counties, call 800-894-9540.

Connect TRAILS Van

For TRAILS service in Kanawha, Jackson, Clay or Roane counties, call 888-595-8290.

Choices TRAILS Van

For TRAILS service in Wood, Wirt, Richie, Pleasants, Harrison, Doddridge, Calhoun or Gilmer counties, call 866-966-2668.

← Section 1 - Major Assistive Technology Funding Sources Section 3 - Common AT Funding Source Questions →